CSNbbs
Early 2014 Football Ranking - JMU #21 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: James Madison (/forum-685.html)
+----- Thread: Early 2014 Football Ranking - JMU #21 (/thread-690571.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Early 2014 Football Ranking - JMU #21 - Hotrod829 - 05-28-2014 02:56 PM

This years team will look a lot like the 2008 JMU team. Every game will be fun to watch. Look forward to JMU beating up on the rivals. I just hope we don't dissect every play like some people did MM, if we are losing.

Early 2014 Football Ranking - JMU #21 - HolyCityDuke - 05-28-2014 03:02 PM

(05-28-2014 02:56 PM)Hotrod829 Wrote:  This years team will look a lot like the 2008 JMU team. Every game will be fun to watch. Look forward to JMU beating up on the rivals. I just hope we don't dissect every play like some people did MM, if we are losing.

Rivals? You mean the small private schools we play...

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App

RE: Early 2014 Football Ranking - JMU #21 - HyperDuke - 05-28-2014 03:22 PM

UNC & Duke are rivals. Richmond is one of our rivals & that's fine by me.

RE: Early 2014 Football Ranking - JMU #21 - HyperDuke - 05-28-2014 03:23 PM

(05-28-2014 02:56 PM)Hotrod829 Wrote:  This years team will look a lot like the 2008 JMU team. Every game will be fun to watch.

Seems like you've left the cautious camp & are on-board with the new staff & team. What happened?

RE: Early 2014 Football Ranking - JMU #21 - JMUSuperfan2000 - 05-28-2014 03:23 PM

(05-27-2014 08:53 PM)Hotrod829 Wrote:  Toughest conference in the FCS.

Hotrod, we always claim to have the toughest conference in FCS, but I'm not sure I buy that argument anymore. The bottom of our conference has been pretty abysmal lately, so I think the MVC with NDSU and the Big Sky have easily caught up, if not passed us by. If nothing else, there's more parity at the top than ever before, especially with some of the recent defections.

And it goes back to the argument that we're not preparing ourselves for conference play by scheduling the cupcakes out of conference the last couple years. Even in the "toughest conference" we shouldn't be finishing any lower than third on an annual basis. No other school in the conference has anywhere close to the resources JMU provides. UNH consistently does more with a glorified high school operation. Towson has pumped more resources into their program the past couple years, but nowhere close to JMU's investment. UD still requires teams to dress in the gym. W&M has been stagnant just about as long as we have. Richmond and Villanova are Richmond and Villanova. The new additions certainly aren't anything to get excited about.

I've said before I'm not sure that Withers is going to be the answer to our woes. His defenses have consistently sucked, and our defense was no great shakes last year, so we may find our team in quite a few of the ODU/GSU track meet games where the last team with the ball wins. It'll certainly be a more interesting style than what Mickey subjected us to these past few years, but I don't know if that will translate to positive results.

RE: Early 2014 Football Ranking - JMU #21 - JMUDUKE9 - 05-28-2014 03:31 PM

(05-28-2014 03:22 PM)HyperDuke Wrote:  UNC & Duke are rivals. Richmond is one of our rivals & that's fine by me.

Wallace Wade Stadium - 33,941
Kenan Memorial Stadium - 63,000

Robins Stadium - 8,700
Bridgeforth - 25,000

As an aside, Duke has one of the smallest stadium capacities in all of I-A.

RE: Early 2014 Football Ranking - JMU #21 - Hotrod829 - 05-28-2014 03:33 PM

(05-28-2014 03:23 PM)HyperDuke Wrote:  
(05-28-2014 02:56 PM)Hotrod829 Wrote:  This years team will look a lot like the 2008 JMU team. Every game will be fun to watch.

Seems like you've left the cautious camp & are on-board with the new staff & team. What happened?

Not anymore can be said before they play games. I won't be on board until we win a bunch of games. Just tired of the off season speculation. Ive never been one to talk a lot or listen to a bunch of talk. I'm always cautious with the "new".

RE: Early 2014 Football Ranking - JMU #21 - Hotrod829 - 05-28-2014 03:42 PM

(05-28-2014 03:23 PM)JMUSuperfan2000 Wrote:  
(05-27-2014 08:53 PM)Hotrod829 Wrote:  Toughest conference in the FCS.

Hotrod, we always claim to have the toughest conference in FCS, but I'm not sure I buy that argument anymore. The bottom of our conference has been pretty abysmal lately, so I think the MVC with NDSU and the Big Sky have easily caught up, if not passed us by. If nothing else, there's more parity at the top than ever before, especially with some of the recent defections.

And it goes back to the argument that we're not preparing ourselves for conference play by scheduling the cupcakes out of conference the last couple years. Even in the "toughest conference" we shouldn't be finishing any lower than third on an annual basis. No other school in the conference has anywhere close to the resources JMU provides. UNH consistently does more with a glorified high school operation. Towson has pumped more resources into their program the past couple years, but nowhere close to JMU's investment. UD still requires teams to dress in the gym. W&M has been stagnant just about as long as we have. Richmond and Villanova are Richmond and Villanova. The new additions certainly aren't anything to get excited about.

I've said before I'm not sure that Withers is going to be the answer to our woes. His defenses have consistently sucked, and our defense was no great shakes last year, so we may find our team in quite a few of the ODU/GSU track meet games where the last team with the ball wins. It'll certainly be a more interesting style than what Mickey subjected us to these past few years, but I don't know if that will translate to positive results.

I don't think any other conference has at least 5 teams that can possibly win a national title if the make playoffs. We have consistently had that. Towson just needed a few years to catch up from their previous conference and scholarship woes. Maryland is a prime place to get 2nd tier recruits.

I think coaches are more important that resources. MM lost a lot of good coaches who are doing great jobs recruiting elsewhere. Coach West at UVA is keeping their recruiting classes at a high rank. I feel those losses set us back one-two years. Last year we had Five assistants that were 30 and under.

RE: Early 2014 Football Ranking - JMU #21 - HyperDuke - 05-28-2014 03:55 PM

Their stadium is "ONLY" 16,000 seats less than ours! Duke's is 29k less than UNC!

RE: Early 2014 Football Ranking - JMU #21 - HolyCityDuke - 05-28-2014 05:09 PM

(05-28-2014 03:22 PM)HyperDuke Wrote:  UNC & Duke are rivals. Richmond is one of our rivals & that's fine by me.

Duke is the exception not the rule...

RE: Early 2014 Football Ranking - JMU #21 - Duke Dawg - 05-28-2014 07:09 PM

9-2, hosting playoff games.

I'm drinking the Kool-.....uhhhhhh.....the JUICE this year

[Image: Kool-aid-running.jpg]

RE: Early 2014 Football Ranking - JMU #21 - olddawg - 05-28-2014 08:48 PM

(05-28-2014 10:57 AM)JMUDunk Wrote:  We're really flying about as blind as one could be right now. On paper? Yea, things look pretty well set up for an exciting season, but who really knows? Maybe Ricky Birdsong can offer an opinion if someone can track that cat down.

Can Withers Coach? As in HEAD Coach? Will his prior experience translate to better DB play? Will the Hessians blend into a smooth running unit, or a bunch of individual "stars"? Will MM recruits respond to the new Coach and his Assts?

Lot's of unknowns out there, ready to get this things started!

(05-28-2014 07:09 PM)Duke Dawg Wrote:  9-2, hosting playoff games.

You sure you don't mean "bidding" to host playoff games? JB is not exactly a master strategist in "securing" the home games. That said, I like the optimism. Still would like some encouraging news from our defensive backfield though.

RE: Early 2014 Football Ranking - JMU #21 - JMUDunk - 05-29-2014 12:55 AM

(05-28-2014 11:13 AM)Purplehazed Wrote:  
(05-27-2014 05:56 PM)Potomac Wrote:  Hey guys, why did no one tell me that we beat tech in the 2009 Fcs playoffs?!

"Withers will look to lead the Dukes back to the status the program enjoyed in 2008, when it ranked No. 1 for much of the season with Payton Award finalist Rodney Landers under center. The next season would see the Dukes knock off a Top 15 ranked Virginia Tech Hokies (21-16) in the postseason"

There are people in this board that will be saying 2010 to their VT coworkers in 2025. The sad part, VT fans (those I work with) already feel sorry for JMU fans and let it slide without challenge. It's like the fat accountant in the basement talking about how he took a thin chick to prom in high school while all the trapped listeners in the office kitchen try to bail on the conversation. I expect Bourne is this guy at AD events if he even goes anymore...he skipped on the NCAA tourney after months of the most optimistic amongst us forecasted Bourne would be there selling JMU to the MAC/CUSA.

Athletic programs that don't have a bright future (a Bourne/Alger led JMU) live in the past.

Wow. Just Wow. 90% of the people on this board are in the "move up" camp. Including a lot of folks been around this program for generations, played for JMU, show up week in week out and have been doing so for decades. But, I know you know that.

Who do you think you're calling out here? Fans? CAAfans? Who? You think Jeff Bourne or Pres Alger are really all that concerned with your pathetic, sophomoric rants on a message board that you have, quite literally, worn a freaking rut into?

You ever ride your bike on the sidewalk and that one neighbor edges that part on either side of the concrete? Then you get your bikes front tire slotted in there when you cast a momentary gaze at the neighbors daughter only to eat, and eat it hard? As in, over the handlebars and faceplant on the concrete?

That's your rut Hazed.

I'm sure you're a decent guy, I can feel it. I'm sure you're a true fan and athletic supporter. But C'MON, man. At SOME point you gotta give the JB/Alger/Yeager hatefest a rest. Ya just do. it's incredibly tiresome.

And, FWIW, as usual, I speak for thousands. Cent and Dirty can back me up on this. 04-cheers

RE: Early 2014 Football Ranking - JMU #21 - BSKB 24 - 05-29-2014 03:20 AM

Dunk, you are getting it all out! Therapeutic.

RE: Early 2014 Football Ranking - JMU #21 - BleedingPurple - 05-29-2014 05:29 AM

(05-29-2014 03:20 AM)BSKB 24 Wrote:  Dunk, you are getting it all out! Therapeutic.

Yes, and done without attacking as some seem to prefer as their mode of operation.

RE: Early 2014 Football Ranking - JMU #21 - BDKJMU - 05-29-2014 05:53 AM

(05-28-2014 07:09 PM)Duke Dawg Wrote:  9-2, hosting playoff games.

Which game gets canceled?

RE: Early 2014 Football Ranking - JMU #21 - QuinDuke - 05-29-2014 08:33 AM

(05-29-2014 12:55 AM)JMUDunk Wrote:  
(05-28-2014 11:13 AM)Purplehazed Wrote:  
(05-27-2014 05:56 PM)Potomac Wrote:  Hey guys, why did no one tell me that we beat tech in the 2009 Fcs playoffs?!

"Withers will look to lead the Dukes back to the status the program enjoyed in 2008, when it ranked No. 1 for much of the season with Payton Award finalist Rodney Landers under center. The next season would see the Dukes knock off a Top 15 ranked Virginia Tech Hokies (21-16) in the postseason"

There are people in this board that will be saying 2010 to their VT coworkers in 2025. The sad part, VT fans (those I work with) already feel sorry for JMU fans and let it slide without challenge. It's like the fat accountant in the basement talking about how he took a thin chick to prom in high school while all the trapped listeners in the office kitchen try to bail on the conversation. I expect Bourne is this guy at AD events if he even goes anymore...he skipped on the NCAA tourney after months of the most optimistic amongst us forecasted Bourne would be there selling JMU to the MAC/CUSA.

Athletic programs that don't have a bright future (a Bourne/Alger led JMU) live in the past.

Wow. Just Wow. 90% of the people on this board are in the "move up" camp. Including a lot of folks been around this program for generations, played for JMU, show up week in week out and have been doing so for decades. But, I know you know that.

Who do you think you're calling out here? Fans? CAAfans? Who? You think Jeff Bourne or Pres Alger are really all that concerned with your pathetic, sophomoric rants on a message board that you have, quite literally, worn a freaking rut into?

You ever ride your bike on the sidewalk and that one neighbor edges that part on either side of the concrete? Then you get your bikes front tire slotted in there when you cast a momentary gaze at the neighbors daughter only to eat, and eat it hard? As in, over the handlebars and faceplant on the concrete?

That's your rut Hazed.

I'm sure you're a decent guy, I can feel it. I'm sure you're a true fan and athletic supporter. But C'MON, man. At SOME point you gotta give the JB/Alger/Yeager hatefest a rest. Ya just do. it's incredibly tiresome.

And, FWIW, as usual, I speak for thousands. Cent and Dirty can back me up on this. 04-cheers

I agree with this sentiment wholeheartedly. I know 'hazed loves JMU like we all do, or he wouldn't come back to this board to post all the time. But calling out two or three posters on a sports team fan board for disagreeing with a comment that was posted months ago may just about define uselessness on the internet. Assuming that any of Alger, Bourne, and Yeager care that the exact same rant is getting posted over and over here is silly and a bit tiresome. It's made the New Conference Rumor thread a chore to read, and now it's spreading into other threads and making them a chore to read as well.

I think we all know how you feel about this issue. I'll stipulate to it on the record, if that helps.

RE: Early 2014 Football Ranking - JMU #21 - Jay M. Youix - 05-29-2014 10:03 AM

(05-29-2014 12:55 AM)JMUDunk Wrote:  C'MON, man. At SOME point you gotta give the JB/Alger/Yeager hatefest a rest. Ya just do. it's incredibly tiresome.

thank you.

RE: Early 2014 Football Ranking - JMU #21 - Pitz - 05-29-2014 10:06 AM

+1 Dunk!

RE: Early 2014 Football Ranking - JMU #21 - DoubleDDuke - 05-29-2014 09:46 PM

Why would you give it a rest if you're really a JMU fan. That seems counter intuitive to me.